Saturday 3 February 2018

Be Judgemental and Jump In the Well

Add caption
The other day, an old lady asked me why my nose was so small; I paused to ruminate if she said nose or horse as I had a picture of a horse on my shirt. I was just going to ask the person if she was being scatological by pointing towards a picture on my dress which I have no control over. “Are you being serious ma’am? How is this silly yellow horse on my shirt bothering you?” Just as I was mentally arguing with her comment on my shirt, she pointed towards her nose and said- “your nose dear”. I was flabbergasted, my lips quivered but I didn’t know what to say and gave her an asinine smile. I wanted to call her judgemental, however would I be called judgemental if I called her so?

I remember the time I had to visit my hometown to attend my Nan’s funeral, I went with a lot of extra kilos that amalgamated within myself as a result of my husband’s love. My husband believes good food is like heaven and a good fart thereafter (forgive me) is like a good meditation(are you monsters judging us already?); he instilled these great values and culture within me as I went home bouncy and enlightened. However, not many were impressed with my new countenance(with the extra kilos); they began judging- is she ill, does she have thyroid, is she constipated, is she possessed? Some of the older aunts started staring at my bottom with despair as if it is my fate that bloated it, while some stared to check if it will be transformed into an umbrella. I got a lot of consolations and condolences that day, some for my Nan and a lot for myself. I wanted to call them all judgemental, however would I be called judgmental if I called them so?

I wont lie, I too am judgemental to a point where things can get annoying; however, I don’t think it’s cool to judge or be judged that way. We are configured by nature and genes in a remarkable way and it does tingle a bit when we hear comments on our profile, and yet we pass comments like- she is too fat, he is too dark, she is very talkative, he snorts when he sniggers- not our business, but we still pass judgements like our life depends on it.

It’s OK to observe, it also OK to get amazed while observing but it’s not OK to pass contumelious remarks on your observation because you don’t just look like a moron, you might actually be turning into one as you have no idea what the other person’s journey is about. You might not even want to get to know the other person, as it’s so much easier to sit in one place and pass remarks but you have no idea the amount of negativity you are distributing and integrating within yourselves.

 Life is meant to sit back and enjoy, once you start accepting life for what it is, you will start appreciating yourself and others. When you start to enjoy life, you also start to enjoy and appreciate different personalities and people. Let life be about love, acceptance, food and dance and not about – “she is a donkey, he is a retard” kind of phrases.

Let me give you a simple tip, - next time you feel you are getting judgemental, inscribe your valuable remarks on a piece of paper, decorate it with glitters and colours (that’s right) spray a little perfume for fragrance and do a small forest dance around it; finally, fold that piece of paper, kiss it and flush it in the toilet- because that’s where your opinion belongs, regardless of how you decorate or sugar-coat it! So before those toxic thoughts subdue you, let it go and breathe; let's not make life that complicated. 





Image Credits: Google

No comments:

Post a Comment