Monday 17 November 2014

Soaring…flying….bah humbug!!


For my exquisite ladies who believe that being tall is a blessing from the almighty, let me give you a reality check. Sure- traditional clothes look grand on tall girls and putting on weight looks less hideous; but apart from all this, we face serious susceptibilities emotionally, socially and medically. It’s not a cake walk guys….
Image Credits: Google

I faced my first veracity when I was in 3rd Grade and I saw my maid’s son wearing my favourite "Tom & Jerry" T-shirt. I tried talking to my mother about it, how could she give it away like that?
“Are you cracked Nimmy, that T-shirt looks more like a blouse (worn with saree), exposing your belly buttons and I won’t have you roaming about in that attire till I am living with you”.
“Fine, why don’t you visit your parents in Kerala for some-time”.
“Ha-ha nice try”.

Me playing the bride-groom at a school play
During school days, I was made to sit on the last bench, it sucked! And during our convent school plays, I was always, always...the boy. Yea, there was one time when I played a female role- that was when I played the wicked and evil witch. Otherwise, I never qualified as a woman in any school play. I remember my pretty sister playing a princess, an empress, or a fairy; while I get to be a pastor, a gremlin, a train or a tree. So people around, convinced me that life will be so much better as a grown up.
So, I grew up to be 5’7 inches tall. Ok, I know that’s not very tall but it’s quite tall for an Asian. And life is no better even now. I went for shopping yesterday as I had to purchase a ceremonial shirt. I tried umpteen numbers of shirts but my Mum was not even a least bit satisfied. She said aloud incensed, “Isn’t there anything here that can cover your Bum?”
The shop-guy looked palpably confused and asked, “Ma’am, are you looking for a shirt or an overcoat?”
I can’t even begin to explain how embarrassed I was.
A Maxi-gown looks like a joke on me when I try it on as it barely reaches my ankle. I look like a nomad from the pre-historic era. It is very difficult to get a gown that gracefully reaches till my feet.       

Image Credits: Google
If I have to talk about travelling, the bus rides to any place is an excruciating ordeal especially when the seats are too cramped up. My knees keep getting jounced to the seat ahead and they look like Meat Dumplings when I get down. Not just my knees but my back is taken for a ride too. Ahh that’s the punishment my chicas,  for being obnoxiously tall.
Do you think that’s it? Bwaahahaha there is more…
I get judged at by wearing heels, people look at me like I am wearing somebody’s chest hair on my feet. No seriously, do you think tall girls don’t like wearing heels? We love heels too, it’s not only a mechanism to make you a few inches taller but it gives a certain form of grace and elegance to your walk. Even my Dad has agreed that I walk more lady-like with heels on.


Now I totally like clicking pictures and I am in love with all pictures which has “ME”. But, most of my pictures look funny with my face hovering over my gals like a ghostly orb;  and if it’s one of my little angels clicking my picture, they ruin the masterpiece by cutting me my head off the picture. This is one thing that totally annoys me. If you are not capable to take a complete picture with all my essential human organs then why would you even insist on clicking a picture? But hey, I love you guys.
Image Credits: Google


My mother keeps talking about the issues a tall girl faces while looking out for suitors because many a times we will have to reject proposals only on the basis of height.




Image Credits: Google
Seriously girls, if you have an average height or if you are a little short, don’t blame your parents, god or  destiny, because there is so much you can do and be that tall girls can’t even dream of.  Sure basketball needs huge and strong women but a ballerina looks beautiful when she is petite and poised.  This world offers something for everyone. Realize it, understand it and love yourself and your body more than anything else in this world.




PS: While I conclude this blog, I am trying to fit into the couch at my friend’s place which is barely 5 Feet long. While my not-so-beautiful feet point towards heaven over a pile of pillows and cushions arranged for me, I am hoping for God to kick in some love and positive energy through my toes into my psyche. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment