Saturday 13 December 2014

Is Selfie-Craze really a pursuit of Narcissism

Selfiesss!!!!...  A couple of years back it was defined  as  self-portraits; but now it’s synonymous to madness, addiction, self obsession etc etc etc.... ok let me confess, half n hour before  making this post go live, I clicked 3 Selfies in order to admire the shade of my new lip-gloss. I continued clicking pictures till I underway, hated the shade and cursed myself for purchasing the horrid lip-gloss that made me look less classy in the selfies. No, I am not an addict but hey, clicking selfies and later looking at them gives me an external perspective to my facial features and the cosmetic additions made to them; that is my idea. And at times when the image turns out to be surprisingly nice, I upload it on social media to enjoy adulations and praises from the masses. That’s me, not an addict but an enjoyer of self-potraits.

The other day in the train I was noticing a girl sitting next to me, who was clicking pictures of herself with the front camera, totally oblivious to the outer world. On perceiving further I noticed that she was focusing on her pimple (under her nose towards the left) in each of her photograph very creatively. I know this cause, she was zooming in and out of the picture and her main emphasis was on her pimple. I was rapt with this activity of hers. No sooner, she believed to have found the perfect pimple-picture, she instagrammed it and gave a caption which read- “Ohh the damning evil pimple- making me look so dreadful”. This made me wonder, was she clicking a perfect ugly picture of her self; because she didn’t look ugly in any of the pictures.  I have noticed this pretty girl clicking selfies on almost all the days we have travelled together. No, she doesn’t know of me; I have just been a silent admirer of her pictures in a very much less creepy way. The world would obviously call her an addict, a crazy addict; but I won’t as for me, she is a person who respects her face and her pimples and makes the world believe that she looks beautiful even with a pinkish spot on her face!!

Now let’s talk about celebrity Selfie queens who post pictures when they are apparently about to
sleep or have woken up from their siestas. It’s funny how they manage to look drop dead gorgeous even with a “just woken up” look. You should see me when I wake up in the mornings with a face that will make you start believing in demons and banshees….a face that could cure your constipation for ever. As a kid I have always dreamt of waking up gracefully in the morning with slight sleepy eyes and with a messy yet an elegant hairstyle; but that area is only reserved for the little lady butterflies of the film industry. I am sure even when they haven’t pooped for a long time and are constipated, their selfies will make them look like a dream…..so much for being a celebrity I tell you.


I have a friend from work who I won’t name, and she is addicted to clicking selfies but will never post it anywhere. She clicks it for her pleasure and she keeps looking at them at random intervals. I saw her staring at her selfie for as long as 7 minutes continuously. I waited hoping she might look away at some point; but she didn’t and kept staring. As I was madly in need to go to the loo, I had to leave my investigation mid-day.


Now, being a selfie lover myself, I hate the brand “Selfie addicts” given to anyone. Let’s call it an art of loving oneself by admiring the photogeneity in oneself. As long as it doesn’t distrupt the daily functionality of a human being, what is wrong with clicking selfies that tell u a story about you…. Looking at the pictures, you can imagine what, when and how you were feeling at a certain point of time… tells you what expressions make you look like a princess and what make you look like a moron. I have experienced this. Thanks to my selfies, I know what expressions make me look like a retard. There are times when I look at selfies and introspect about my personality by pondering on my activities of the day. For eg: if I have fought with someone on the day I clicked a selfie, I keep looking at the selfie and realize how the altercation-impact has evidently reflected on my face and makes me solicitous about the matter. At times I continue to be a donkey but there are times when I try to accept my mistake with a willingness to change. Yea, all because of a selfie!!!!

 I don’t support the art of clicking selfies with animals, who you otherwise hate, and uploading them on social media in order to make one look like an animal lover with a caption- “me and my poochie pumpalacious. I resent that; but it’s indeed  silly to call a lady who has uploaded her selfie on social media for the world to see. She is sharing a moment of her life…let’s be happy and considerate about that. After all, we all agree that a woman belongs to the prettiest gender on earth; and admiring her beauty is admiring god’s creativity. So, all I am going to tell the Selfie Lovers on this planet is to continue doing what you love, because there is a certain percent of populace on earth, who loves to see the magical you.

Now before I end my blog, I would like to share some selfies of mine with my favourite selfie partners….



1)      The person who tops the list, is Ms Natasha Vinod, my little sister who is 10 times more mature and 20 times intelligent than me. I call her Pumpkin Pasty. This pic was clicked days before she left India to pursue her higher studies in The United States of America. She is my pillar of strength that has always been there for me with her pretty face, ever ready to solve my problems. Her elegant face is the reason in the picture that makes my face look appealing too. J





2)      The second is my Grand-dad, who is an Ex- Military guy with a mustache that defines strength, might and courage. Well, he is definitely all that but more than that, he is the sweetest person on earth. He loves posing for pictures but hates smiling in them. My little old cute-heart.








   3)      The third is Ms Bhat (Siddhika Bhat), I love her for many reasons…the easiest reason being, we had been roomies for 2 years during our MBA course. She is a chirpy little muffin who has been a part of my soul during the whole tenure. At times when we felt we had nothing better to do, we would go on clicking random retarded selfies in order to make our day.



      




       


      Image  Credits: Google

No comments:

Post a Comment