Saturday 20 December 2014

My fluttering Butterfly….


 A sister is a gift to the heart, a friend to the spirit, a golden thread to the meaning of life. ~ Unknown



If you have a sibling, you are a lucky dude but if you have a sister then you are luckier, however if you have a little sister- life is a giant feast. A feast with a lot of desserts where unfortunately, we have got to face a little bitter dish here and there; as no cook in this world is perfect. When you eat your perfect dish sometimes u come across tangy stuff, pungent ingredients; you might put aside what you don’t like but you will never abandon your dish because it had an awesome start. That is exactly how it is when you have a little sister in your life. She is sweet, she is spicy she is bitter…but she is yours till the very end.

When I was 2 years of age, I received a gift in a form of a small rotund doll with a lot of hair on her head like a little brown crown....but hey, “she moves!!!” I thought. “She blinks her eyes just like me and she is so fair…her cheeks are as flushed as raspberries…is she mine?? Please tell me I can keep her forever.” said the 2 year old me to mom and dad. They smiled and told me she is mine and that I have to be a protective elder sister and take care of her always. How lovely of them, I thought then…. how smart of them, I think now.

True to my words, I have always been around her, took care of her, played with her and groomed her. She was actively involved in making my life pleasant, participated in all my crimes, and played a lawyer in my defence; but sometimes she was also a reason why I wished I was a single child; as she was very smart in using my tactics against me- the leader who taught her the act.

When we were young, she was as petite as snow and as delicate as a bubble. She wanted her elder sister around when the big boys bullied her, when dad and mom cornered her and when her friends irritated her. Me in akimbo was enough to scare any goon or anything evil from her, that is what she believes unequivocally even now.

As we grew older, life taught me that I need her more than she ever needed me in life. We are from the same set of parents, with the same blood running in our veins with the same upbringing and cultural values instilled. But like they say- no two snowflakes are alike. I learnt that both of us are completely different in absolute different ways and that she always stood by me to support me in all my misery. When I was in 5th Grade, I was once weeping on the school stairs over an incident, where my friends teased me for my hairstyle. I got upset and ran to the staircase near the school library- Library because, that’s one place nobody visits. Anyway, my sister found out and she came running to me to share a piece of chocolate her friend gave her and saw me crying. She stormed into my classroom and yelled at my friend saying, “well atleast my sister does not have the most stupid pigtails you are sporting. You look like a monkey with those pigtails” and dashed out of the class. She came to me and she said, “If someone has to insult you, it can only be me. I wont allow anybody else to say anything to you”, and she went back to her class leaving me marveling at my 8 year old sister.

You can’t get her eat any chocolate or a piece of cake without her sharing it with me. That’s a must for her. Every chocolate, every piece of cake and every pizza or samosa has a share for me always; even now. On all her birthday parties, she would tell the closest relatives to also get a gift for me. In order to appease her, granddad still wishes us both on both our birthdays. Now even as grownups nothing has changed . All I know is, her love and consideration has only grown for me. She is my little sister but is far mature and intelligent than I am. I am the one who gets cranky and jealous when she is given more importance and then she takes charge and handles my immaturity with epic sweetness. She ensures I am given enough importance as she hates it when I make a big noise about it.

When you look at her, you will notice that she is pretty, she is classy and she is soft; and when you look at me you will see that I am an overgrown baby who is loud and abrupt. She hates is when I don’t maintain a decorum when I am at  public places. She will give me a disapproving look when I would fight with cabbies for fares or when I would yell at a shop keeper in high decibels. Like I mentioned before, personality wise, we are as different as sky and water but as sisters we are as compatible as milk and sugar.

She is my everything in life and has proved to be my coloured butterfly during depression, my angel for discretion and my doll throughout life. No problem remains a problem with her in the vicinity and no damage remains damage, with her chocolaty effect on them. Sharing problems with her gives me a great sense of relief and a feeling as if it’s already resolved. Her smile works as a remedy during misery and medicine during pain. Now she is in the US, pursuing her dream and yea the distance sure matter; but my sister knows exactly how to cover up for everything- Her long messages on how to come out of any issue, her funny recorded skype videos where she pretends to be the 2 year old brat she was once and her virtual kisses and hugs that is comforting more than any reality in this world.  

“You will always be my overgrown, childish big sister Nim”.

“ Pumpkin, you have no idea what you mean to me- my ever fluttering butterfly.”
                                                              


No comments:

Post a Comment